Thursday, July 28, 2011

Burn Baby Burn



While browsing the audio section of Newgrounds one night, I came across this little piece. While listening to it I got mental images of Heatman from the Megaman series looking all cute and innocence while surrounded by all this destruction he's caused, so I decided to draw it. I'm not entirely sure why I got those mental images, and there is a reason it was Heatman of all things, but I won't go into that right now.

This was my first attempt at shading an image with the light source coming from behind. My first try was as follows:



I hadn't quite completed the shading at the time, but I decided to show it to a few friends of mine anyway and they gave me a few pointers about where the lighting should and shouldn't be. One of them suggested making the front more interesting by adding highlights from the glowing gem, which I liked the idea of since I've always wanted to try using green highlights. This was how it looked after I'd tweaked the shading:



I'm glad I decided to get an opinion on it before finishing it off, because I think the second try is vastly better than the first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment